Monday, February 22, 2010

Introduction

First, I need to establish my credentials. I am in no way an expert on theology or God, if such a thing exists. I can speak only as a layman, a member of God's Church, who has unexpectedly come to God and barely begun to understand what that means. I have a love for theology, but only as a dilettante. And like all dilettantes, it is too easy for me to mistake facts about God as knowledge of God Himself. Realizing my weaknesses, I am reluctant to talk about these things, because I may betray a level of certainty that is not actually present.

This blog has started in preparation for a talk I will give in the Theology on Tap series for my church. I have debated in my head whether I should actually give this talk, because, again, I know so little about theology. But I was subtly prodded by both my wife and my parish priest to share my story, and I finally convinced myself it would be a good idea after realizing it could be a channel for me, a means to let my thoughts coalesce. Its preparation would also be a Lenten penance and a gift I could give to my parish and my friends, who have been so helpful and patient with me.

What follows will be many unrelated, unorganized posts, only meaningful as the seed of an idea. I apologize if they are completely unreadable.

No comments:

Post a Comment